Friday 20 March 2009

Professional judgement.

You cannot deny that anti-Semitism is quite prevalent where I teach. Today a student was busy insulting another one by calling him "Jew". I quickly sought to terminate the exchange of insults between her and him, with him calling her a "tramp" and her calling him "Jew", and then she shouted out across the whole class the phrase: "Of course he can afford (new clothes)...all Jews have loads of money!" There was silence in the classroom and I was too shocked to respond. A teacher has to make split second decisions throughout his or her lessons - it's your professional judgement which is engaged at a split second's notice. At any moment something shocking or unexpected might happen. All the students involved are going to serve a detention with me next week. But hearing such pig-ignorance, such racism, being bandied around the classroom makes me feel like something more needs to be done. You could say it wasn't the most pleasant aspect to my day!

Au moins, demain on part à Paris pour la journée avec les classes de GCSE!

No comments: