Tuesday 20 October 2009

Boots. Too. Big. Their. For.

An odd phenomenon's a-rising,
And I have found it most surprising.
It coincides with the creation
Of special 'Learning Conversations'.
For every child, a certain time,
A different day, quarter to nine,
They meet and talk, discuss and chat,
About their lessons, this and that.
Their tutor does not sit and judge,
Their tutor's not to bear a grudge,
But is instead required to ask,
"Why do you think you go off task?
Why do you find this class is bad?
What are successes that you've had?
Do tell me, Bobby, how you feel,
I'm paid to listen to your spiel!"
The child talks, says that and this,
Explains detentions that they've missed,
Thinks up excuses for their work:
"This teacher really is a jerk.
I don't get on with them at all,
So if I fail it's not my fault."
The problem comes with tutors who
Just shrug and say "what can you do?"
And leave the kids with the impression,
That having made a weak confession,
They are absolved of doing work,
For teachers they think are "a jerk".
Then when confronted in a lesson,
The student spits back with aggression,
"Allaaaii! I don't get on with you, you know,
My tutor says you go too slow,
You gotta challenge me, yeah mate!?"

No comments: